The GDC requires all registrants to arrange and maintain 'adequate and appropriate' indemnity cover, either in their own name or as part of their employer’s scheme.
Professional Indemnity Insurance to meet GDC requirements
The GDC requirements are specified under the heading, Professional Indemnity. Within the insurance industry Professional Indemnity is designed to cover advice for a fee, specification for a fee and treatment.
UK Special Risks have worked closely with the DTA to provide a package for dental technicians that fulfils the GDC requirements. It is 4 policies in 1 – a package to meet all eventualities. The DTA scheme covers liability arising from products supplied, shading consultations, advice supplied, supervision of process workers and defence advice and costs in GDC fitness to practice proceedings. It also provides unlimited cover for consequences of past work undertaken and unlimited run off cover on retirement at no extra cost. Specialist extensions, Indemnity to Principal and Indemnity to Employer also come included at no extra cost.
The benefit for a dental technician arranging cover in their own name is that the policy is fully portable allowing them to maintain continuity of cover should they change employer, move from employment to self employed or from sole trader to limited company.
One of the main risks facing a manufacturing dental technician arises from injury or damage caused by the product supplied. As a result our policy includes £3m of Public and Products Liability, combined with £4m Professional Indemnity, £100k Disciplinary Hearing Defence and £100k Tax/VAT investigation all for an annual premium of £39.00, we believe this is a market leading product.
UK Special Risks have over 10 years experience in the Dental Laboratory industry and we believe we have produced a package offering possibly the widest cover at the most competitive cost on the market today.
Features and Benefits: -
- Limit of Cover is £4,000,000 for £39.00 per year
- It's 4 policies in 1, protecting you against Professional Indemnity, Public & Products Liability and Legal Expenses including Tax and VAT investigation
- Representation and defence costs in a GDC disciplinary hearing
- Cover for consequences of past work undertaken before the policy is taken out
- No extra premium to pay for the run off cover after you stop work i.e retirement
- No excess to pay in the event of a claim
- Covers you potential liability arising from your work including, shading consultations, advice supplied to dentists, supervision of process workers, defence costs in fitness to practice hearings by the GDC
- The cover is FULLY portable
For more information go to www.ukspecialrisks.co.uk or contact Suzanne on 01634 662916 or Lesley on 01634 862525.
Download the Application Form (including FAQs) (pdf)