NHS Test and Trace in the workplace
By DTA | 7th April 2021 | News
What to do if you or someone you employ is contacted by NHS Test and Trace, including self-isolation, sick pay and financial support.
NHS Test and Trace:
- provides free testing for anyone who has symptoms of coronavirus to find out if they have the virus
- gets in touch with anyone who has had a positive test result to help them share information about any close contacts they have had
- alerts those contacts, where necessary, and instructs them to self-isolate
You are legally obliged to self-isolate as soon as you show symptoms of COVID-19, and must book a test within 5 days. If you get a positive test result, you must self-isolate for 10 days from the day your symptoms started. By self-isolating when told to do so by NHS Test and Trace, you are protecting your family, friends and local community, and helping to stop the spread of the virus.
Guidance for employers
It's critical that employers take steps to keep workers and visitors safe. By following the COVID secure guidelines, employers can reduce the risk of co-workers having to self-isolate if a member of staff tests positive for COVID-19, or is identified as having had close contact with someone who has tested positive.
Working from home, where possible, is essential to limiting mixing between households. People should work from home, unless it is not reasonable to do so. If necessary, workers can travel for work purposes and stay away from home.
It is vital that employers play their part by:
- supporting staff to work from home
- making workplaces as safe as possible (if working from home is not possible)
- not knowingly allow workers who are required to self-isolate to attend the workplace
- encouraging employees to download and use the NHS COVID-19 app
Employers must continue to ensure the health, safety and welfare of their employees and other people in the workplace. This includes, but is not limited to: workers, agency workers, contractors, volunteers, customers, suppliers and other visitors.
To find out more click here:
Register to order free rapid lateral flow coronavirus tests for your employees
You can order free rapid lateral flow tests to test your employees twice a week in the workplace. If you have 10 or more employees, from early April you'll be able to order tests for your employees to collect from their workplace and use at home twice a week. You can do this if you cannot provide testing in the workplace.
You must register by 11:59pm on 12 April 2021. If your business is closed or you cannot provide tests now, you should still register so you can order tests in the future.
You can register to order tests if:
- your business is registered in England
- your employees cannot work from home
Click here to find out how to register