President's Blog - July 2017
Hello and welcome to my first Blog! This will become a regular online feature, with news and updates for DTA members.
June has been a busy month generally and for DTA particularly.
CDO England Briefing
I was privileged to represent DTA at the first CDO (England) briefing, held at the Imperial War Museum in London. The briefing talked about Formulating a plan for improving oral health in England.
In her welcome message, Sara Hurley, CDO England, said the briefing aimed to provide representatives with information that should enable them to align and integrate their organisation's valued contributions to improving oral health into a national and consolidated plan of action.
This briefing provided a useful forum to engage with the wider profession and the DTA values all such opportunities.A full report will appear in the August issue of The Technologist.
There are two key news stories from the General Dental Council that affect us as registrants – registration renewal and plans for Enhanced Continuing Professional Development.
General Dental Council Registration Renewal
The DTA would like to remind members that the window for dental technicians and other dental care professionals (DCPs) to renew their registration with the General Dental Council (GDC) is now open. Members need to renew their registration by midnight on 31st July 2017 to remain on the register, late payment or not declaring indemnity could result in your removal from the register and ceasing working as a DCP. Full details can be found @ https://www.gdc-uk.org/news/news-and-blogs/news
Enhanced Continuing Professional Development Plans Approved
Plans for Enhanced Continuing Professional Development have been approved by the General Dental Council. The main changes under the enhanced CPD scheme will be:
- The number of verifiable hours over a five-year cycle will remain at 50 for dental technicians and dental nurses but will increase to 75 for clinical dental technicians and other DCPs.
- There will no longer be a requirement to inform the GDC of non-verifiable CPD, meaning a reduction in the overall number of CPD hours required.
- There will be a requirement to spread the hours more evenly across the five-year cycle.
- There will be a need to make an annual declaration of the CPD hours you have carried out which meet the requirements.
- There will be a requirement for a Personal Development Plan which should give details of your planned CPD and associated learning outcomes.
- A log of completed activity (including date, number of hours and which learning outcome it covered) and collected evidence (such as a certificate) for each activity will also be required.
Find out more about ECPD the scheme at:www.gdc-uk.org/professionals/cpd/enhanced-cpd.
Don't forget that DTA already has a sample PDP on the website in the members section – you just need to log-in to see the full range of guidance documents we produce.
The DTA team on 3 June to talk about membership services and how the Association should develop to meet the changes ahead. It was a far ranging conversation and we are now formulating ideas and services for members. Keep an eye on the website and in our publications for updates.
Articulate, July 2017
The July issue of Articulate, our bi-monthly e-newsletter is out on 3 July and will carry CPD on medical emergencies. If you don't currently receive this -e-newsletter please let the office know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and email address – we can then add you to the mailing list.
Have you thought about joining the DTA team?
The DTA is run by dental technicians for dental technicians, and we are always looking for new people to join us. Why not give Sue a ring on 01452 886366 to find out more or you could come along to our next management meeting on 30 September and see how it works.
If you are on holiday during July, have a good break.